Sunday, February 12, 2012

My family came to Nashville...Pt. 2

Flashback to Friday, January 13th:

When my parents came to visit, they decided they wanted to go to the Honkey Tonks. Like whoah. Not only do my parents not drink...but Jenny (who was 16 at the time) was with us, and I knew she wouldn't be able to get in the bars after nine.

Needless to say, I was not really a proponent of this family night on the town.

Nevertheless, I, the ever-obliging hostess took my excited family to Broadway. After being rejected from entry at the first four bars, we finally made our way into Rippy's (no bouncer at the door).

I immediately got some liquid refreshment, something to calm my nerves. Long Island Iced Tea(s) to be exact. My family sat at a table right in front of the musicians and listened with glee (!) to some rousing live country music. The violinist was really talented, which kind of saved the performance.

She was so talented that she inspired several people to give her things. The most memorable gift was when a man decked out in camo came up to her and gave her a mason jar full of liquid moonshine. Only in Nashville. Awesome. He preceded to serenade her with his duck whistle. I believe he also left her a pair of wading boots. Quite the gentleman.

We were witness to a group of older women getting down with their bad selves. One woman got down by way of slipping on the floor, another by some combination of grinding and dropping it low that probably wouldn't be acceptable behavior at a club, much less a country music bar.

At one point a man from Boston drunkenly stumbled to the stage and asked to sing. To my surprise he was actually really good.

After his performance my mom felt compelled to tell this perfect stranger that I would be moving to Boston in June.

"That's great!" he slurred, "We need more beautiful people like you."

Thanks mom for hooking me up with inappropriate men since 1990.

He wasn't as good at dancing as he was at singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment